Saturday, August 18, 2012

Dr. Bronner's All Natural Liquid Detergent Recipe

I posted a recipe for homemade liquid laundry detergent a few months back and received a few negative comments regarding the use of the Fels-naptha bar soap.  I did a little research and it does seem that there are some environmental concerns involved with the ingredients of the soap, one ingredient being titanium dioxide which is known to contaminate the lakes, oceans and cause harm to wildlife.   I was a little bummed out to read this because I have had such great luck with my detergent, but I decided to seek out a more natural recipe.  I went to our health food store in town and picked up a bar of Dr. Bronners All-One Hemp Citrus Orange bar soap.  Made with certified fair trade and organic ingredients,  I was not able to find anything concerning the safety of this product and smells SO yummy!  I am head over heels for this recipe and it always feels good to know you're using a safe product!  

borax, soup, pure, castile, washing soda, natural detergent, recipe
Ingredients:
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1/3 bar Dr. Bronner All-One Bar Soap
Dr. Bronner soap bar, grater, grate, recipe
Using a cheese grater, grate 1/3 of your Dr. Bronner soap bar



Add 4 cups of water and your Dr. Bronner soap shavings to a medium pot and heat until soap has dissolved.  
Add the 1/2 cup of borax and 1/2 cup of washing soda to the soap and water mixture

Heat and stir until the borax and washing soda have dissolved.
Heat and stir until the borax and washing soda have dissolved. 



In a large bucket, add 1 gallon of warm water


Add your soap/borax/washing soda mixture to your bucket of water


Stir and allow to rest overnight 


Using a funnel, pour your Dr. Bronner liquid laundry detergent into an empty container (make sure you ask your friends and family to save their empty detergent containers!)

Use 1/2 cup of detergent per load and enjoy! 


Join us on FACEBOOK!


9 comments :

  1. Thanks for the helpful info. I use Fels naptha also but will look into the castile soap. I put drops of lavender EO into my soap mixture to add scent but using that as a bar is probably just as good. Have you made this recipe without melting it? I usually make my laundry soap to be a powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Indio! Emily uses the castile soap but has used the Fels napthata (I know because Ive picked it up for her at ACE). I vaguely remember her making it a few years back and it being more of a "powder" form. Im sure she will comment on that.

      Delete
  2. I used this same recipe for a time, and then I discovered that Borax, too, is not the most natural nor safe ingredient. Thankfully, you can just switch out baking soda for the Borax and have a great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emanuel H. Bronner was the maker of Dr. Bronner's castile soap, a concentrated liquid notable for the vast amount of lather produced from a few drops and the vast amount of tiny text on its packaging. Bronner, whose parents were killed in the Holocaust, promoted a belief in the goodness and unity of humanity. All Dr. Bronner's classic liquid & bar soaps are not only certified under the USDA National Organic Program, but also certified Fair Trade! In addition, they offer a range of high-quality organic and fair trade personal care products, from lotions to shaving gels – all certified under the same USDA program that certifies organic foods.

    http://www.getnutri.com/dr.bronners.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much liquid does this recipe make? I am wanting to make little batches and would like to devide the recipe if i can, just need to know the total amount so i can do the math.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much water is there in the bucket?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @mylissa25: I just finished making this and it made 1 1/2 gallons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I use Dr.Bronner's liquid soap instead of grating a bar?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the beneficial data. I use Fels naptha additionally but will check out the castile cleaning soap.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Other Posts You May Like