Saturday, August 24, 2013

Our Rooster



  Back in March our friend dropped off some chicks as a "gift" in exchange for me giving him one of the older incubators I had lying around. He assured me they were all pullets. Yeah well.... not all. We live in town and have neighbors and "technically" should not have a rooster due to obvious reasons. Time kind of slipped away from us as it sometimes has a tendency to do, and that cute little chick grew into what he is today.

 His crow started out sweet and innocent until one morning at about 4:30 I was awoken by a full fledge "COCK - A - DOODLE - DOOO". Yeah...thats not gonna fly I thought  as Emily quickly reminded me we need to find him a home. A few phone calls where placed to a couple of friends that day and we had hit a roadblock. None of them had the room to take in another rooster as having too many can cause some serious issues like fighting and overly stressing out the hens. So now what?

Soup wasn't an option as I had grown to like this guy. He is very friendly and does a very good job of protecting his flock. So every night before I go to bed, I sneak out to the coop and grab him to put him in the garage and shut the door. He perches up on a stack of milk crates I have in one of the corners and seems to really like his "throne".  He still crows at the crack of dawn, however it is so muffled, you can hardly hear it. Fortunately his crow during the day is not bothering any of the neighbors either. As a matter of fact, most of them say they never even hear him and the ones that do are reminded of the days back when livestock would free roam through our neighborhood. Last night for the first time he waited until all of the hens headed up to roost in the coop and then he himself headed into the garage to sit upon his throne. Hopefully my days of having to tuck him in every night have come to an end. Ahh... the things we do for our pets. Cheers ~ Kevin
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Other Posts You May Like