Saturday, September 15, 2012

Emily's Apple Pie

Ok, so I have to admit this is the first time I have ever made an apple pie.  I've been wanting to make one for years and have researched dozens of recipes but it wasn't until we decided to have a bake off this month on Farm Chick Chit Chat that I finally was motivated enough to make one! Despite it looking a little crispy in the picture it tasted divine and will be a recipe I keep very close by for the future.  

Ingredients:
  • Your favorite recipe for a deep dish double pie crust (I store bought mine to save time)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour 
  • 1 tablespoon of corn starch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup of white sugar 
  • 1/2 cup lite packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly.  

Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. In a small saucepan, melt the 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.  Whisk in the flour and corn starch to form a paste.  Add white and brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce temperature and simmer while whisking.  
  3. Place your apple slices in a large bowl and carefully pour 2/3 of the sugar and butter mixture over the top of the apples.  Mix well to coat. 
  4. Fill your bottom pie crust with the coated apples, slightly mounded in the middle. Place your second crust on top (I chose to use a lattice design but I would imagine you can chose any design you would like) and pour the remaining 1/3 pie filling over the top.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
  5. Place your pie on a baking sheet and bake for one hour.  
  6. Enjoy!
Scraps for the chickens



5 comments :

  1. Wow ... your first time! You did great! A beautiful pie, and I can just imagine the scent and the taste! Congratulations Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. THank you! I was afraid it looked a bit well done. LOL. ;)

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful Emily! You did a great job. I never thought of drizzling anything over the top.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Other Posts You May Like